Monday, March 8, 2010

One More Crack in the Glass Ceiling

Last night, Kathryn Bigelow made history by becoming the first woman ever to win the Oscar for Best Directing for her film The Hurt Locker. Will that fix all problems and difficulties female directors face in Hollywood? No. But it's a big step, nevertheless.

For more info on how to support female filmmakers, I highly recommend the site Women and Hollywood, which is chock full of news, film suggestions, and other stuff about, well, women and Hollywood.

1 comment:

  1. In news reports the day after, I was interested (?)...disappointed(?)--not surprised, I'm afraid--to hear Ms. Bigelow described as not looking "directorly." Unfortunately, I can't recall the source, but I do recall the comment seemed to be in reference to her attire. At least it seemed so to me. I'm not sure what she was supposed to look like--in dress or mannerisms. A man? As the first woman to win an Oscar for Best Director it would seem to me she sets not follows the style (if there is one) for looking like a director.

    ReplyDelete